Tuesday 29 April 2008

Gathering Storm

______

Another poem that I'll be submitting for assessment this year. Not much to say about it, but I'm proud of the imagery and plethora of poetic devices I've used.
______


The skies, they were ashen and sober,
A promise of the night to come;
When forever comes crashing.

Prius: the rain starts softly,
But the birds are already long gone from the trees.
It gathers force and ferocity,
Shredding newly-wrought leaf from twig,
And creating a shimmering, singing horizon
Against the gathering dusk.

Secundus: a rolling hum barrels through the clouds,
Breaking forth as the rumble from a wolf’s throat.
Wide-eyed cats scramble for cover
From noise which has no presence;
The herald of the imminent maelstrom
Calls to the heavens.

Trientis: and so it comes, as promised.
Incandescent serpentine after incandescent serpentine,
Infusing the night air with electrical fire.
Bolt of blue shatters bark and branch,
Leaving singed and sorry ash upon the ground;
A violent end by violent means.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really like your work and i think i found your site through heavyblogisheavy but now I don't know which of the authors you are. Why haven't you posted anything new?

Segue said...

Thanks dude! How did you find it; what did you click through?

I write under 'Disinformasiya' on Heavy Blog; I'm on eof the editors!

I haven't posted anything new for a couple of reasons. First of all this blog was used to post stuff that I did whilst at uni, which I graduated from about eighteen months ago. It's not that I'm not writing, but there's less of the week-by-week short stuff; I'm writing a graphic novel at the moment (a different one to the one I mention a few times here) and there's less to update about.

Music blogging also keeps me very, very busy. Thanks for reading though!